9 Items for Cold Weather Car Kit
Stock up on emergency supplies:
1. Blankets (for all people in the car),
2. A first aid kit
5. Snacks and liquids.
6. Cell phone
7. Charge your phone before you leave
8. Pack a car charger and an external battery back-up charger.
9. A map (Yes, an old fashioned paper one in case your route is changed due to weather conditions, your phone battery dies, or you lose your GPS signal)
Know the weather conditions in your area and for your destination
**1. **Monitor local news for information on weather conditions and travel advisories. Whenever possible, avoid driving in icy or hazardous conditions.
2. The USDOT Federal Highway Administration’s National Traffic and Road Closure Information page provides weather-related links. (State DOT lists are here.)
Know Your Stuff BONUS:
1. If you’re planning a trip, make sure someone knows your destination and planned route in case you don’t arrive when expected.
2.List of state police/highway patrol telephone numbers by state
3. Renting a car? Know what contact number to call in case of breakdown.
Thanks to Robyn Bradley Litchfield from the Alabama Department of Public Safety Public Information/Education Unit for her insights!