Top Picks for Small SUVs
Small [SUVs](http://www.carsoup.com/research-vehicles/SUV/?docnt=1&vehicletypeid=1&sugsuv=true) are one of the fastest growing segments of the new car market. Not surprising, considering their cargo- and people-hauling versatility, their ability to handle a wide range of road conditions, and their higher gas mileage compared to their full size cousins. If you’re in the market for one of these diminutive haulers, you’ll want to check out these best (and worst) buys based on surveys of reliability from actual car owners.
- Mitsubishi Outlander Sport — Not originally recommended because of a choppy ride and uninspired handling, owners nevertheless ranked this small SUV as top of the class.
- Subaru Forester — With great fuel economy and practicality, the Subaru Forester was a close second to the the Outlander Sport in overall reliability.
- Subaru Crosstrek XV — The Crosstrek is an affordable, fuel-efficient option that scored almost as highly as Subaru’s Forester when it comes to reliability.
- Ford Escape — Beware of models with the non-turbo four-cylinder and the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engines.
- Jeep Cherokee — The Cherokee’s nine-speed automatic transmission scored low in the reliability survey, as did its Uconnect infotainment system.
- Jeep Patriot — While past models of the Patriot scored well, reliability dropped within the past year.