Top Picks for Small SUVs
- Mitsubishi Outlander Sport — Not originally recommended because of a choppy ride and uninspired handling, owners nevertheless ranked this small SUV as top of the class.
- Subaru Forester — With great fuel economy and practicality, the Subaru Forester was a close second to the the Outlander Sport in overall reliability.
- Subaru Crosstrek XV — The Crosstrek is an affordable, fuel-efficient option that scored almost as highly as Subaru’s Forester when it comes to reliability.
- Ford Escape — Beware of models with the non-turbo four-cylinder and the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engines.
- Jeep Cherokee — The Cherokee’s nine-speed automatic transmission scored low in the reliability survey, as did its Uconnect infotainment system.
- Jeep Patriot — While past models of the Patriot scored well, reliability dropped within the past year.