The Ford Ranger: A Mid-Size Truck That Packs a Punch
The Ford Ranger is a mid-size pickup truck that has been a popular choice for drivers who need a vehicle that can handle both work and play. It's known for its durability, capability, and versatility, making it a great option for everything from hauling cargo to off-roading.
A Brief History of the Ford Ranger
The Ford Ranger was first introduced in 1983 as a replacement for the Ford Courier. It was originally a compact truck, but it was later redesignated as a mid-size truck in 1993. The Ranger was discontinued in North America in 2012, but it made a triumphant return in 2019.
2024 Ford Ranger
The current generation of the Ford Ranger is all-new and was completely redesigned for the 2019 model year. It's available in three trim levels: XL, XLT, and Lariat. The Ranger also comes in two cab styles: extended cab and crew cab. The extended cab has a smaller rear seat that's best suited for occasional use, while the crew cab has a larger rear seat that's comfortable for adults.
Engine and Performance
The 2024 Ford Ranger is powered by a 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque. The engine is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is standard, and four-wheel drive is available as an option.
The Ranger has a maximum towing capacity of 7,500 pounds and a maximum payload capacity of 1,860 pounds. It's also capable of handling off-road terrain with ease, thanks to its ground clearance of 8.4 inches and its available electronic locking rear differential.
Features and Technology
The 2024 Ford Ranger comes standard with a variety of features, including:
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- A rearview camera
- Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
Higher trim levels add features such as a power moonroof, heated and cooled seats, and a premium audio system.
The 2024 Ford Ranger starts at $32,670 for the XL trim level. The XLT trim level starts at $35,610, and the Lariat trim level starts at $43,630.
Overall, the Ford Ranger is a great option for drivers who need a mid-size truck that can handle a variety of tasks. It's durable, capable, and versatile, and it comes with a long list of features. If you're looking for a truck that can do it all, the Ford Ranger is a great choice.
Here are some additional things to consider when buying a Ford Ranger:
- Fuel economy: The Ranger gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
- Warranty: The Ranger comes with a basic warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles and a powertrain warranty of 5 years/60,000 miles.
- Competition: The Ranger's main competitors are the Chevrolet Colorado, the Toyota Tacoma, and the Nissan Frontier.
- The Ford Ranger was named the 2020 Mid-Size Truck of the Year by Motor Trend.
- The Ranger is available in a variety of colors, including Oxford White, Magnetic, Silver Spruce, Star White Metallic, Lunar Blue, and Antimatter Blue.
- The Ranger can be equipped with a variety of options, including a spray-in bed liner, a bed cover, and a trailer hitch.